two steps

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Working with snotty nosed kids on a daily basis usually leads to me spending most of the winter months with a cold, or worse. A couple weeks ago, I battled a sore throat. This week, it’s a horrible cold (read, never ending runny nose) and an ear infection. My mom told me once that as a child, I rarely had ear infections. She must have jinxed me, because as an “adult” I’ve had a ton.

My biggest whoohoo for the last couple weeks has been that I am down a total of ten pounds since the beginning of this year. Another huge thing for me is, despite feeling like absolute crap half this week, I pushed myself to work out every day. In fact, four of the seven days, I did multiple work outs.
I don’t feel as great about myself as I would like to, but I feel good.

My goals for this next week are just to do as much, if not more, than last week. I’d like to do two work outs every day, but I know that my Tuesday/Thursday schedule most likely won’t allow for it. The walking I do on campus kinda makes up for not having a second workout though, I guess?
Also, I want to work on eating better. I’ve been doing a much better job on eating breakfast every morning (Lena & the #breakfastclub have definitely helped with that!) Now, just to make sure that healthiness continues on throughout the rest of the day. It’s insanely hard though, when I’m not getting home until nearly 8. By the time we’re home, Hailey’s ready for bed, then I’m gathering things for the next day and finishing homework. Dinner’s a last thought and it’s hard to find something healthy when all I want to do is lay on the couch and crash. Suggestions? Yes, please!


One step at a time, and we’re one step closer.

14 comments:

Lena B February 12, 2011 at 7:23 PM   Reply to comment

Hey, Girl! Thank You for mentioning - happy if I can help. When do you go to sleep. I eat before 8 but don't go to sleep til 11 or 12.

Awesome job on weight loss! Congrats

Erin Patrick February 13, 2011 at 4:11 AM   Reply to comment

You are doing awesome! You should be proud of yourself! 10 lbs down this year is amazing.
I have trouble when I get home late too! I definitely don't feel like cooking and cleaning up that late.
One thing I have been dong recently is boiling several eggs at once and then for meals I make a piece of toast, put pesto sauce on it, and then add a boiled egg. It is super easy and actually really good and filling. It is from the Cinch plan. Actually that book might be helpful - there are a hundred or so recipes and all of them are very simple and quick.
Good luck!

Unknown February 13, 2011 at 7:43 AM   Reply to comment

http://www.loserforlife.com/2011/01/how-to-make-salad-kits/

That's my best suggestion, from a blog I read a lot.

Anonymous,  February 13, 2011 at 8:20 AM   Reply to comment

Congrats, you did such an amazing job on your workouts! You have every right to be proud of yourself! :) I'm a pretty busy person in general too, I stay at home with 4 kids and I go to school full-time (online), so I know what kind of situation you're in. Dinner is VERY difficult for me to pull off, have you ever thought of making your dinners a week or a month in advance, and freezing them? That's what I've resorted to, and on the days when it's impossible to find the time or energy to cook, I have something homemade and healthy to just stick in the oven and re-heat. Onceamonthmom.com is a really great website for that, and she just introduced diet menus! Hope this helps :)

Carter Family February 13, 2011 at 9:22 AM   Reply to comment

You are doing great on your weight loss.. This is so going to be your year! The Breakfast Club has been a great help to me as well its hard for me to get breakfast in somedays but with the reminder on Twitter it helps alot. I am sure you will do great with the workouts... I am building up to doing more...

Alana, Author of Domestically Challenged February 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM   Reply to comment

Congrats on the weight loss! When I have crazy nights, I eat a healthy bowl of cereal for dinner. I'm starting to do that more and more, but it's a crazy time of year! (Sounds like you are a teacher - me too!)

Anonymous,  February 13, 2011 at 2:14 PM   Reply to comment

You're doing fantastic! Two-a-days, school, work, raising a daughter? I'm impressed! Keep up the great work!

Andrea Kruse February 13, 2011 at 2:30 PM   Reply to comment

That is fabulous! 10 lbs is fantastic!

I know that being around sick kids can really give your immune system a hit. Eventually you will have a body like a machine though and be impervious to bugs and viruses. Right?

Take care and again congrats on your losses. Keep rockin' it!

Rebecca B. February 14, 2011 at 7:23 AM   Reply to comment

I love the multiple work outs a day! How long are your work outs normally?

I know your weekends are probably pretty full, but what about making some freezer dinners that you can just pop in the oven for something quick to eat during the week? Or the crock pot.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipes/main-dish/slow-cooker/Main.aspx

They have a great collection of recipes there!

kia February 14, 2011 at 7:31 AM   Reply to comment

You are doing fantastic for being under the weather. Congratulations on the 10 pounds and working out. Quick suggestions for meals? I have a southwest quinoa black bean salad recipe that is fast, the slow cooker is awesome (like Rebecca suggested), cooking on your off day and freezing meal is another alternative, as well as salads with a few key ingredients on hand (whole grain ready to put on, salad greens, prepared veggies, cubed or shredded meat, etc.)

Unknown February 14, 2011 at 3:37 PM   Reply to comment

So many people have been so sick this winter - ugh! We have snotty noses in this house as I type this. I'm ready for Spring!

Great job with your workouts and your weight loss! Remember to keep yourself hydrated too!

Angela @ Nine More Months February 15, 2011 at 8:59 AM   Reply to comment

Wow! Working out while feeling gross is not easy. I was down for the count for an entire week just a couple of weeks ago. Make sure you get some rest so you can be back to 100% soon.

As for meal ideas, cooking in batches is always a good idea. When I cook chicken breast, or even brown rice, I cook extra so that I can make quick meals later in the week. Cooked chicken is great in salad!

Unknown February 15, 2011 at 1:21 PM   Reply to comment

You are doing great. You will be back in full action soon. Don't worry. Keep it up!

Katie February 15, 2011 at 8:03 PM   Reply to comment

You're kicking butt! I wold suggest salad kits, premade dinners that you just have to reheat or something quick and easy like eggs or oatmeal. Can you tell I'm a breakfast for dinner kinda gal?

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP